I was very recently asked to lend my support for maintaining a website we have which is written in PHP. Now normally I’d run straight off to my trusty little 2010 macbook (which, by the way, has NOT degraded in speed in all that time nor does it require constant reboots..do you hear that windows? I digress) and use any one of the free or cheap plethora of tools to help with this task. Personally I tend to use Aptana Studio. Just for once I thought I would try and leverage my normal windows work machine for this task and so I turned straight to Visual Studio. It turns out that there is an add-on for studio made by the guys at Devsense. So using the Visual Studio Extensions and Updates manager I installed the add in called ‘PHP Tools for VS 2013′ (which is on a 30 day trial) and awaiting the amazingness…..
Time passed and true amazingness did not happen and so I decided that I would just get on with my work instead.
I downloaded the source for the website put it onto my machine and
then started the process. As the project is an already existing site i
needed to run the ‘Project From Existing Code’ menu item available from
the File/New menu item. This takes you through a simple wizard and at
the end of this process you have a visual studio project with all of
your PHP code. Great, so now down to it…. Unfortunately what I did not
realise was that this site made use of PEAR extensions, thus everytime i
tried to run a page with email capabilities it would just break unable
to resolve the necessary libraries.
Click here to read full blog.
Written by Conrad Rowlands, Team Leader and Developer, DSCallards